Thursday, April 23, 2009

My future tattoo

I love Anais Nin. I started reading her when I was 17. I love her fiction but the diaries are my absolute favorite. I wanted to study her formally in college but never had a chance.

Over the last few years I've had a lot of trouble deciding what tattoo to get. Earlier this month it occurred to me that I didn't need it to be an image and that, in fact, words could be made into a fluid design. So I chose a very short poem by one of my favorite authors: Anais Nin.

Risk

And then the day came,
when the risk
to remain tight
in a bud
was more painful
than the risk
it took
to Blossom.



I was trying to decide on style and placement but had pretty much committed to using the poem in its entirety.

Then tonight I was looking at sample photos of women with forearm tattoos and stumbled across an article about NYC sex clubs. In it there was a description of a blog being written by a NYC middle-aged woman interested in D/s. Although I haven't yet touched on D/s in this blog my sexual interests are largely in that vein.


I followed the link expecting some "dark and moody D/s themed erotica" and maybe some good NYC specific info. And what's the first thing I see? My Anais Nin poem in the top center.


I'm sure I sound hokey but I am now completely convinced that I've chosen the right tattoo. It really does apply to every facet of my life and my struggle to evolve. Now I just have to choose the right location on my body...

P.S. I've been trying to figure where "Risk" was originally published but so far haven't had any luck. I will not print it on my body until I find it in one of her books. While the poem is all over the internet no one seems to know where to find it in print.

No comments:

Post a Comment